You don't have to be a Mean Girl (Thanks to Vanderpump Rules this season for giving that term a brand new lease on life!) to appreciate an afternoon of shopping. For our purposes, let's also say you don't need a convertible (although one would be nice once this cold weather in the OS finally breaks!) or a direct route to the mall either. Especially because I'm guessing that you're most likely bored to tears right about now with your usual haunts and with buying stuff that everyone in your group already has.
Maybe you're thinking about putting that (tax) return check toward something a little unexpected, unique, different? That you don't have to be a Bravo reality show star to afford. (I mean honestly, who doesn't covet LVP's bedroom size closet full of Chanel and Hermes on RHOBH? Perfection.) Here's a list then of 5 favorite small - as in local - but mighty shops for your consideration, courtesy of some of this blog's savviest shoppers/contributors:
- "Recently re-opened after a break/relocation is Nonchalant Mom in Wakefield. Owner Carina Schott originally developed Nonchalant Mom as an online boutique in 2004, before they were a normal part of retailing, and began by mainly selling collections created by friends. Fast forward 12 years to the the new shop where you'll find an expertly curated selection of clothing for women and children, a sprinkling of eclectic items for the home, beautiful jewelry, and a small selection of apothecary. When you enter the bright cheerful shop, you're immediately drawn in by the splashes of brilliant color, racks of simple yet elegant clothing, lovely scarves and bags, and selections of beautiful and unique jewelry throughout. Add to that Carina's warm and welcoming smile and you'll be hooked. Nonchalant Mom is the perfect antidote to a rainy beach day, but visit once and I guarantee it'll become a favorite all year round." Tracey Keough Park of Trace Alchemy skincare, and one of the chicest people around
- "Located in scenic downtown Bristol, this cozy and eclectic shop is one stop shopping at its best! While tiny in size, Kate and Company manages to be filled with great items for the home, including: Thymes candles, Stonewall Kitchen items, glassware, the best (and some hilarious) cocktail napkins, throws, chocolates, and unique jewelry (including RI's Kiel James Patrick's designs). You will also find a great selection of fashion forward and contemporary clothing and accessories perfect for everyday or a special occasion." Leslie Tente, Exceptional Baker, Cook & Crafter
- "The Veiled Crow is seriously a gem. Loren May is a gifted psychic medium offering tarot card readings, her own line of bath and body products, essential oil blends & more (all handmade by Loren). Remember the movie "Practical Magic" with Sandra Bullock? Her shop reminds me of the one in the movie. Whatever you need, she's got something to help!" Wax Queen & All Around Awesome Individual Alexandra Lepore
- "I hardly cheat on my own business and outfit myself daily in clothes that are my own original designs or from Gossip or Beatnik (I do love the special Vintage Loves line at Beatnik!), but I do frequent Teddy Bearskins for kids clothes and support local artists like Indigo Clarke & Jon Campbell (also sold at Beatnik) whenever I need a cool personal gift." Janelle Feigley, Boho Mama, Stylist, Designer & Owner of Gossip Inc.
- "East Greenwich is another charming place to shop. If you're looking for the perfect hostess or bridal gift as well as locally designed jewelry, fashion accessories, and home decor, you will find it at The Green Door. Owner and visual display artist, Susan Swanson, also creates one-of-a-kind silk floral designs for the home. She will even visit your home to help create the perfect custom design." **Another fab pick from the lovely Leslie Tente**
+ These originally appeared as part of the My RI Life series that runs regularly on PattyJ.com.