Guys, I love makeup. I love applying it, I love learning about it, I love the artistry of it. I love the power it has to help us see our own natural beauty.
This time of year is one of my favorites for makeup. The holiday season means bold, sparkly, and festive. I wanted to share with you a classic holiday look that I have created using only affordable (i.e., drugstore) and cruelty free products. Along the way, I'll share some of my favorite tips, tricks, and products (also all cruelty free) that will get you rockin' that holiday glam!
- Always begin with a clean and well moisturized face. Great skincare equals great makeup and while concealer can cover a multitude of sins, it's easier if it doesn't have to. For a bold look like this, I prefer a fuller coverage foundation application (say that three times fast!) My favorite method is using a slightly damp beauty sponge to gently pat the product into the skin. Product Recommendation- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. A fraction of the cost of a Beauty Blender, this sponge has several different edges to help get an even application in every nook and cranny of the face. I have yet to find a Real Techniques brush that I donn't loved.
- Going somewhere flash photography will be used? SPF can create a flashback effect so use a foundation without it (though sunscreen is super important the rest of the time!). You can easily test your foundation for flashback by, you guessed it, taking a photo of yourself with the flash on. Product Recommendation- For a drugstore option, NYX foundations are amazing. My favorite for my oily/combo skin is Stay Matte Not Flat and the Invincible Full Coverage is great for dryer skin.
- Want natural looking foundation that will stay put? Dust some face powder over your entire face before applying your foundation. This will keep the foundation from looking powdery and cakey while giving it a little extra cohesion to the skin. Product Recommendation- ELF High Definition loose powder. This stuff is bomb and comparable to higher end powders several times the price.
- Now is the time to let your inner Glitter Goddess free and an easy way to play is with the eyes. For this look, to get that great gold sparkle, I used ELF Lustrous cream shadow in Toast. It works best as a top coat over powder shadow and used that way, it lasts all day without moving or creasing. ELF also has some $1 glitter liners that, I find, don't irritate the eyes. Product Recommendation- Wet n Wild has some really amazing eyeshadows. The pigmentation and color choices are awesome and the $1-$10 price tag is even better.
- A great way to glam up your eyes is to use false lashes. The key with lash application is patience. If the glue is too wet, the lashes will just slide around and make a gluey mess. Wait a good 20-30 seconds for the glue to get a little tacky, place the lashes on the center of the lid, then tuck in the outer and inner corners. An easier alternative is to get a pair of half lashes that will accentuate the outer corner of the eye. Product Recommendation - Eyelure and Ardell are two inexpensive, cruelty free brands you can find at almost any drugstore.
- Going for a classic, red lip? To help it (or any other bold color) stay put, first use a lip pencil, not only around the lip line, but over the entire lip surface. Apply a thin layer of lipstick, blot with a tissue, and repeat a couple times or until your lips are at the intensity you want. Product Recommendation- NYX makes amazing lip products. The matte lipsticks and creams are a great way to follow the matte lip trend. You can also use a little loose powder over a shinier lipstick to mattify it (the ELF HD one is great for this).
- If you are going all out with bold eyes and lips, I recommend saving any blush application for last. That way, you can apply an amount that is appropriate to the rest of your makeup. Product Recommendation- A few of my favorite CF blushes are the ELF Studio line, Milani baked blushes, and the Wet n Wild ColorIcon.
If you would like to see a step by step tutorial on how to get this look, hop over to my blog, Compassionate Beauty. I hope you have a very happy (and glittery) holiday season!
Master List Of All The Makeup Emma Used
FACE: NYX Photo Ready Primer, NYX Invincible foundation in Ivory, Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer in Ultra Light, ELF High Definition poweder
BROWS: ELF Brow Kit in Light, Wet n Wild brow pencil in Taupe
CHEEKS: NYX Blush in Taupe for contouring, Wet n Wild Color Icon blush in Pearlescent Pink
EYES: Wet n Wild Fergie Eyeshadow primer, Gold and Wine powder shadows from the ELF 32 shadow palette, ELF Lustrous Long-Lasting cream shadow in Toast, NYX Jumbo eye pencil in Rust, Physician's Formula CC Curl and Care Mascara, Ardell Demi Whispies lashes
LIPS: NYX lip liner in Plum, NYX Matte lipstick in Alabama
More About Emma
Emma is a Rhode Island based yoga and Zumba instructor and self described makeup addict. A lover of food, coffee, and a good scotch, you can find her mostly beauty blog at Compassionate Beauty. She writes cruelty free makeup reviews, tutorials, and the occasional recipe and Netflix suggestion. You can get more beauty related things from her on Facebook and Instagram.