Besides turkey, stuffing, cranberry, and mashed, this week is known for two other pretty important things - going out on Wednesday night (It's THE time to go out, 2nd only to NYE, and catch up with your old HS, college or, if you've left the Ocean State, hometown friends.) and shopping on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday (Historically, day after Thanksgiving is the official kick-off to the holiday shopping season.). With this in mind, here's the PattyJ.com guide to pre-Thanksgiving cocktails and post-Turkey consumerism.
Bar Hoping And Local Shopping
- G Pub - The place to be spotted the night before Turkey day. If you're a 20-something. Or can still pass for 28 on a good night. ready, set, upload those #snapchats.
- Fat Belly's (Pub), College Hill - Meet up with your old HS friends in the place where at least one of you probably had your fake ID confiscated.
- Thirsty Beaver - Same as #2, including the whole ID getting confiscated drama.
- Ladder (133) - Drinks, nachos, and music, all in a turn-of-the-century firehouse setting
- The Hot Club, Foxpoint - Absolutely everyone's got a 'Hot Club story', or two, in their repertoire.
- Dueling Pianos - Have a few drinks and try not to get singled out by whoever's leading the sing along. Last time I was there, for a friend's bday party, it was hoping.
- E&O (stands for early and often) - Classic dive bar with a mix of neighborhood hipsters, bar flies, and out of towners who've probably read an article about how groovy PVD is in either the WSJ or the NY Times.
- The Avery - Dark and stunning interior, that's not far from the E&O. I first went there last year with Brianna to interview someone for this blog. In the end, we walked out with a few blurry, and un-useable, photographs and without a spiral notebook, containing all my notes from the sit-down. (Blogging and drinking don't mix people!)
- Ogie's - Perfect kitsch-y hangout for anyone who remembers when the bar/restaurant's decor was in style originally. Or not. There's even a fire pit outside on the concrete patio - in case you're having Tiki Bar withdrawals from this past summer.
- NAVA - Find them on Wickenden in PVD. It's a hipster, trendy mix of new and vintage clothing, accessories, and gift-y items. (To read a blog about someone who shops Nava, click here.)
- Crosswynds Traders in Narragansett - Guest blogger Meg Mattera introduced us to Crosswynds, a local boutique with a smaller, personalized twist on the big box discount store (Think TJ's and Marshall's.) concept. Look for deals on uber popular brands for girls and guys (flannels too!). And click here for Meg's My RI Life blog.
- Green Envy Eco Boutique in Newport - Rachel Lessne started this shop nine years ago and has filled it with environmentally conscious, fair trade, and organic items from the Ocean State and around the world. Find skincare, accessories, ornaments, fun gifts and that's just for starters. (To see our My RI Life profile of Rachel, click here.)
- Gossip (Boutique) in Wakefield, The Wick (aka, Wickford), Narragansett - Your destination for Free People, denim, and everything else you need to create a cozy, cute wardrobe for Winter 2015 for yourself and anyone else at the top of your gift list. The woman behind it all is stylist, blogger, and boho mama Jannelle Feigley. (Watch for a blog about the lovely and amazing Jannelle later this week!)
Ciao for Now,
Photo Credits: All photos courtesy of the PattyJDotCom Instagram, except Crosswynds Traders clothing, the candles at Green Envy, and Gossip Boutique pics which are from either their websites or their IG accounts.