My friend Karen is an Account Coordinator for an internationally known cosmetics company. She's also a native RI'er, born and raised in Warwick, who lived 'The Rock Of Ages' life in Los Angeles back in the 80's, working at places like Fred Segal in Santa Monica (which, as Karen says, is the shopping mecca of the rich and famous) by day, then, it was over to the Sunset Strip at night to see her friends' bands play. She returned to RI two months before 9/11 and worked as a successful makeup artist/freelancer for countless weddings at the most sought after wedding venues (Think Ocean Cliff, The Renaissance, etc.) in the state before landing her current gig. This is her guide to living the glam-gypsy-boho-beach life in Rhode Island.
Karen's RI Favorites
Food And Drink
- BREAKFAST: the old fashioned diner, Percy's Place on Newport Ave. in East Providence; The Bee Hive in Bristol; Brickway On Wickenden
- ROMANTIC DINNER: Cafe Nuovo during Waterfire, outdoor seating a plus
- HIGH TEA: The Tree House Tavern & Bistro formerly Ferns & Flowers in Warwick; The Duck and Bunny
- FAST HEALTHY EATS: Cilantro in East Providence
- CUPCAKES: Duck and Bunny; Amy's Apples for fun
- ANYWHERE OUTDOORS IN NEWPORT for breakfast lunch, dinner, coffee or tea
- NEWEST OBSESSION: Jamu Juice a tumeric chai tea made from a recipe from Indonesia. Tumeric is nature's healer.
Shopping & Style
- STORES: Free People for boho gypsy princess; Forever 21 (I know, I know) for trendy; Target launches for designer
- LOVE LOVE THE PROVIDENCE FLEA MARKET where I have discovered a natural face and body creme called FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH CREAM.....Heaven in a jar. Inexpensive yet amazing! Made by a woman in North Dartmouth, MA; www.handmadesoap4me.com, also HIPPIE CHIC
- Her Signatures: Coral toes, always; BIG hair <3; Lots of Jewelry - armloads of bracelets; Hoop earrings are my trademark; hot baths; pointy toe stiletto pumps (My leopard print by GUESS are lethal!) and high heels in general; my leopard coffee cup and the list goes on...
Her Go-To's For Beautiful Skin
- Cleanser: Erno Laslo soap; also cannot live without my Barbie pink Clarisonic
- Serums: Laura Mercier Repair Serum for day; Nerium at night....Alternate with Retin-A
- Face Oil: the new Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Rose Nourishing Face oil
- Eyes: Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Repair Eye Serum
- Dessert Island Must Have: Burt's Bees Royal Jelly Eye Cream
- Body: I make my own Coconut oil whipped body butter and sugar scrub.
Tips And Tricks To Co-Opt
- Take care of your skin. Exfoliate, moisturize (Mix with a face oil.), use face and eye serums and SUNSCREEN - Ole Henrikson Oil Free Perfect Truth Serum SPF 30 is another fav.
- Stay away from tanning beds, wear a fabulous hat at the beach, protect the decolettage area. Wrinkles there are unsightly to say the least.
- A high quality set of brushes (Laura Mercier, Trish McEvoy, Bobbie Brown) is an absolute must.
- Brow shaping, maintenance and a brow pencil/powder: the Kevyn Aucoin precision brow pencil, Bobbi Brown Mahogany shadow and the Laura Mercier brow brush can work wonders to transform (and lift!) a face.
- Less is best: If your skin is in optimum condition, (use) less makeup and your skin will glow. And please, no powder on dry/mature skin. No, No, No!
- Last but not least, a genuine smile is a woman's secret beauty weapon, eye crinkles and all.
Catch Up With Karen, The 2016 Updates
Photo Credit: Photo of Karen courtesy of Lisa Bruno of 64 Degrees Photography; Karen's makeup by Donna Sousa of Makeover Artistry.