'Tis the season for Rooftop bars...Fairly certain you're already aware of the Rooftop at the Providence G, in Downtown Providence, which I'm a definitely a fan of. The only issue I have (#secretsrevealed) is that a handful of people I used to work with in my pre-blogger life at ____________ retailer/department store hang out there on the reg and I just can't. What better reason then to get outta town and motor over to Newport last night to check out the rooftop bar at The Viking?
I actually had the chance to tour it a few months ago, but it was still chilly and grey and let's be really honest - Newport during the summer is everything! And in case you haven't heard, the Viking has had a complete makeover and frankly, looks gorgeous. In other words, it's not your grandparents' hotel. (I've said that before, but it's totally worth repeating.)
So, last night we had laughs, a few glasses of Pinot Noir, and took a few hundred photos for this post and Instagram. We also put together a cheat sheet with all the reasons why you need to take yourself or a date to the Top of Newport (aka, the roof deck at The Viking):
- The Views At Sunset. Yup. People always seem to single out millennials for being on their phones non-stop and taking too many pics, but guess what? Last night, everyone, regardless of their age, was on their phones taking pics of the sky at sunset from that rooftop.
- Get The Burger And The Beer. It's one of the best times of year to be in Rhode Island, so, for Pete's sake, go ahead, indulge, and enjoy. YO frigging LO. (They also had a nice selection of cocktails and seafood if that's your jam.)
- Live Music. It just makes everything better. So, have that 2nd glass of Pinot and sing along to "Sweet Caroline", maybe a little too loudly, making a complete fool out of yourself. I did. So good, so good, SO GOOD!!!
- Because Romance Matters. Surprise your new sweetie - or existing one - by taking them for a date night there. You'll earn beaucoup bonus points and it's way more fun than having to sit thru another round of The Notebook and/or Dear John. (Channing Tatum is pretty hawt tho.)
- The Celebrity Factor. Never know who you'll run into in Newport, or at The Viking, especially during the summer, if you get my drift. Can't name names, but I will say that the Viking has a long illustrious history of hosting world famous actors, musicians, and dignitaries.
What To Wear: Navy (Consider it your summer black!), Jack Rogers (a Jackie O. fav), Hermes slides (We just found a pair online and they're stunning.), and tunics (I saw a whole group of girls sporting them over flow-y pants.)
Ciao for Now,
Photo Credits: All pics courtesy of PattyJ.com; for more, go to the PattyJDotCom Insta.