Today on Patty J, get to know Elana Carello and her namesake line of knits...
A Few Things About Me
- Born/raised in Cranston
- Graduated from RISD with BFA in Apparel Design
- Moved to NYC and lived and worked there as a fashion designer for over 20 years (Returned to Cranston in 2007)
- Traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia during my years as a designer (Florence is my favorite European city. Paris is my favorite city in which to shop.)
My first line, also called Elana Carello, lasted ten years, from ’92 - ‘02. I was in every major department store and 650 active specialty stores around the country. Sept 11 put us out of business. (Many people don’t realize what a hit the fashion industry took.) My sweaters were on many TV shows and in films: The First Wives Club (Photo above.), The Nanny, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Kathie Lee Gifford’s Christmas Special, Oprah, and others.
I re-booted my Elana Carello line in 2014. (New styles for Fall/Winter 2016 above.) Mindy Kaling wore three of my sweaters in her Hulu show, The Mindy Project. I sell to specialty stores around the country and in my online shop, elanacarellosweaters.com.
On October 8, I am participating in the RISD Alumni Sale on Benefit Street from 10AM-5PM. I will have the lowest prices of the season at that show. One day only, 40-50% off.
Some Of My Favorite RI Places
- I am a stickler for fit, so I worked hard to find a good tailor. I have my clothes (and my family's) tailored at Dry Cleaning & Alterations by Fayth.
- I get my nails done by the welcoming staff at Perfect Nails.
- My favorite places to go for dinner are Julian’s in Providence and L’Osteria in Cranston.
- My daughter and I love to sketch at the RISD Museum and shop in the RISD Works Store. You can usually find my sweaters there.
- I love to get breakfast at the English Muffin in Johnston.
- My daughter and I try to go to Cable Car Cinema once or twice a month - Did you know you can eat your lunch sitting on one of the couches, while watching a movie?
- I shop for unique gifts at Simple Pleasures in Providence. It’s pricey, but everything in it is irresistible.
*Want 15% Off Your Online Order Of Elana's Sweaters? Use The Code Patty J*
Photo Credits: Photo of Mindy Kaling from her Instagram. All others courtesy of Elana Carello.