10 Things You Need To Try To Winterize Your Routine & Stay Fit, Says This Mompreneur
How To Stay Fit This Winter
Eating healthy and staying in shape can be tough, especially during the cold holiday season. I don’t know about you but I am a total baby when it comes to the cold. The second the temperature dips below 50 degrees and the leaves begin to fall, I start my hibernation protocol. Between rich foods, holiday parties, and the natural instinct to pack on the blubber, it's no surprise that even the most disciplined people can see their waistline expand. I’d be a hypocrite if I told you that I don't indulge in some holiday binge eating myself. I’m no stranger to the secret midnight meeting with a pumpkin pie (gluten free of course) - but I am always trying to be my healthiest self. Here are some tips that help me stay fit during the winter.
1. Keep Moving - Try to avoid sitting for too long. Get up every hour and walk around your office or home. I find joining fitbit challenges really helps me. (I might be a little competitive.) I also put a treadmill in my living room and walk instead of sit when I’m winding down and watching TV.
2. Exercise Early - Plans always change and the holiday schedule can get hectic. Get your workouts in early so nothing will get in the way. I like to take a 6:30 yoga or spin class to get going. It really makes me feel more awake and energized for the rest of the day.
3. Indulge For A Night, Not A Season - This one is one of my favorites! You can still enjoy the holidays and get back on track because we all know how stressful the holidays can be and nobody wants to give up wine for them . ;)
4. Grab A Workout Buddy - If you're having a hard time making it to a class or workout sign up with a friend. Going with a friends always keeps me motivated and accountable.
5. Look For A Holiday Fun Run - There’s always some sort of a Turkey-Trot or Santa Run that you can sign up to participate in. Having a goal like this will keep you active, so that you are always working toward something specific.
6. Find Winter Activities You Enjoy - ice skating, skiing, shoveling snow ;) or climbing up the sled hill pulling your toddler AGAIN and AGAIN.
7. Get A Membership - Sign up for a membership for whatever indoor activity you like. If you pay for it up front, you will be more likely to go. If you want to know where I go my two favorite places are Providence Power Yoga and Salt Cycle.
8. At Home Workouts - Sometimes bad weather can ruin our schedules. You can now stream so many workout videos from home that there really isn’t an excuse. Here is one workout app.
9. Don’t Skip Meals - Eating breakfast before the big holiday dinners can help keep you from overeating. By the time you get to dinner you won't be as STARVING! Also, stop when you're full, just because it tastes good and is in front of you, doesn't mean you have to finish every single dish on the table….although I am sometimes a proud member of the clean plate club.
10. Try Something New - There are always some great deals going on! Sign up for a 30-day pass somewhere new. Last winter I tried rock climbing and found a groupon for it!
More About Elizabeth
Elizabeth Stone, MBA is a Mompreneur in Rhode Island with a focus on social enterprises. She loves fitness, health and running around with her toddler Pepper. Her latest projects include BioSci Labs, BI Medical and Pepper’s Closet.
Pepper’s Closet is a Benefit corp. that’s helping spread ocean literacy and awareness through custom crafted apparel. They also donate 10% of all net profits directly to ocean conservation, education and cleanup efforts. Their goal is to create a movement that is as limitless and unstoppable as the ocean itself, to help preserve and protect one of Earth’s greatest miracles. Support them here.