Thirsty Thursday: 5 Destinations for Fresh Juice & Smoothies in RI
I don't care what anyone says. Or shares on Facebook. Whenever I add a fresh juice, or on occasion, a smoothie, into my daily beverage rotation, I feel way better. And notice a major difference in my skin. It looks healthier. Clearer (I tend to get ruddy. Trust me, over the ages of 10 or 12, there's nothing cute about a red nose.). Glow-y even. And who among us doesn't want that? (Anyone who tells you otherwise is most likely a bold faced liar.)
Think you can subtract that 3rd coffee, or soda, and add in a juice? Of course you can! The tricky part is actually in finding the freshest (This is key!), and tastiest, juices and smoothies. My pet peeves include watered down juices and faux healthy smoothies that taste like ground up, liquefied PEZ. I also went completely out of my way the other day to try a new (to me) place that turned out to be just ok. #meh So, I won't be including 'them', but I am sharing my tried and (repeatedly) tested favs for you to co-opt and enjoy.
- Raw Bob's in EG. Almost everyone thinks you have to go to PVD exclusively to get healthy drinks and eats. Not the case. RB has one of the more extensive menus of juices and smoothies in the Ocean State. And if you walk in and don't know what to order, they'll guide you thru your options or maybe mix up something custom. In addition, they offer wheatgrass shots, healthy snacks, and other takeout type items. They also have their own app, which is a big deal. Their shop is colorful and cheery, but small. That being said, my complaint has always been the limited seating because of their size, but I hear (and see on FB) that they're expanding to a larger location on Main St soon (May 2016), so it's all good.
- Shayna's in Wickford. I'm a huge fan. First of all, I love Wickford anytime of the year. Shayna's only gives me another reason to go. In addition to truly delicious drinks (I usually gravitate toward the Dr. Sig.) made quickly to order, you get an adorable, and mostly bright white, cafe cute interior with a blend of good music and lots of local clientele, all of which easily lends itself to Instagram'ing (if that's your thing). They also have a Peace Train sandwich that I highly recommend to any part or full time vegetarian out there in 'Lil Rhody. #obsessed
- b.Good in Garden City, Cranston for their Kale Krush Smoothies. #idonteatburgers I lived on these when I had my nose job about 2 years ago and they are still my go-to when I need some quick, locally-sourced nourishment while shopping in GC. (PS - I live to shop and back in my retail days, I had the credit card bills to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Also, b.Good prides itself on using ingredients from farmers around New England.)
- Benefit Juice Bar in PVD. There's something about being at Benefit Juice that makes me feel as though I'm at a friend's house, just hanging and drinking some smoothies or juice. And I mean this in the best possible way. It has this very low key hospitable and unpretentious vibe that never gets old. I walked over from Downtown PVD recently, on one of those sunny days when you just can't help wanting to be outside, and they blended me up a nice Jazzy Beet. (Beets. Anti-inflammatory and sooo great for your skin. Seriously.) *They also have a punch card promo, where after you buy 6 juices or coffees, you get the 7th FREE.
- Wildflour Vegan Bakery & Cafe in Pawtucket. Let me make one thing clear, I'll definitely drive across town to get a healthy beverage here. My juice picks at Wildflour include The Alkalizer, w/apple, cucumber, ginger, lemon, cayenne, and The Ruby Tuesday, w/carrot, beet, parsley, spinach, celery, kale. (I like to hum the Rolling Stones' song of the same name while waiting for them to blend the veggies. Again, beets are supposed to be excellent for the skin and I swear mine looks its best after indulging in these.) My only complaint is that they seem to keep getting busier and busier, but I'm totally ok with taking my order to-go or in the milder weather, planting myself at one of their outdoor tables.. **Punch card promo for juices or coffees. Ask about it when you go.
Ciao for Now,
Photo Credits: Photo by stocknshares/iStock / Getty Images