This RISD Alum Has A Summer Camp For Aspiring Fashion Designers & It's Everything
Her work has been showcased on tv programs such as Oprah, The Nanny (There's talk of a reboot with Fran coming to CBS in the not too distant!), and The Mindy Project, as well as in a lengthy list of hit movies (on Bette in First Wives Club for starters), and in stores like Saks and Nordie's.
Since relocating back to the OS from NYC, this RISD alum has kicked off a new namesake line of knitwear and a reality to runway style curriculum for aspiring teen (and tween) designers ages 8 to 18 called Project FashionWorks. Today, we're checking back in with Elana, and meeting another of her outstanding students.
What's On The Agenda At Project FashionWorks
In Elana's summer classes, students are busy working on a variety of projects, including:
- making their own red carpet and runway fashions using paper dolls original to Elana
- creating their own fashion magazine (Anna Wintour would approve.)
- designing and executing an outfit for a Barbie doll
- designing and modeling a newspaper dress for a runway show set to music (Fierce!)
Student Spotlight: Abby
What Elana has to say:
Abby is 16 years old, and is a very mature young lady. She is incredibly smart and articulate. Abby designed a fun, young group with lots of variety in silhouettes. Definitely a group with attitude and a sense of whimsy.
She really designed the whole look for each model - including hairstyles and accessories, and that is indicative of someone with great style. This was also reflected in her Barbies, which were very well crafted and meticulously done.
Q & A With Abby
1. Major Style And Design Influence Right Now?
The internet and the LGBT community.
2. If You Could Dress One High Profile Person In The World Right Now, Who Would It Be?
Halsey because she's my personal god and an aesthetic queen.
3. Biggest Challenging Thus Far In Pursuing Design?
Time constraints, and lack of inspiration when I do have time.
4. How Do You Stay Motivated And Inspired?
Reading, fantasy or watching tv shows and movies.
For More About PFW (aka, Fashion Summer Camp)
Elana is currently accepting applications for her Summer 2018 workshop. If you know a tween or teen (The age range is 8 to 18.) who lives for fashion and style, check out the links below: