If you live for fresh juice, smoothies or acai bowls, but hate the cleanup afterwards...Washing out the blender (or Vitamix) is the absolute worst, am I right? So, going out it is. Not gonna lie though, it can be a real challenge finding authentic ones made with super fresh (hopefully local-ish and organic too) ingredients. I mean I've had my share of watered down juices and faux healthy smoothies that taste like candy. Or mass market fruit juice, loaded down with cane sugar or the dreaded high fructose corn syrup. Exactly why I'm sharing this list of fav cafes and juice bars around the OS.
- Benefit Juice Bar in PVD has this unpretentious and hospitable vibe, with a dash of kitsch, that never gets old. It's the perfect under the radar healthy eating spot next time you're in the vicinity of Downtown or the East Side. Grab a juice, brekkie or lunch, and next thing you know, you'll be taking your friends there.
- Raw Bob's in EG: Almost everyone thinks you have to go to PVD exclusively to get healthy drinks and eats. Nope. RB has one of the more extensive menus of juices and smoothies in the state. And if you walk in and don't know what to order, they'll guide you thru your options or mix up something custom. In addition, they offer wheatgrass shots, healthy snacks, and soups to takeout. It's also the only place where you can grab a lemonade (in season) made with activated charcoal, all the rage in LA and NYC these days.
- High Tide Juice Co: Bookmark this place for next time you're anywhere near Westerly. Co-owned by two area natives, and avid surfers, HT's has so many menu options - juices, smoothies, bowls, salads, coffee, and sandwiches - that will make you and your fellow plant-based eating pals jump for joy. In a sunny space with some Rhody rustic touches. What's better than that?
- Shayna's in Wickford: It's not just for summer - I Love Wickford all year! And Shayna's only gives me another reason to go. In addition to truly delicious juices (I usually gravitate toward the Dr. Sig.) mixed up while you wait, you get an adorable, and bright white, cheery interior with a blend of good music and lots of local clientele. All of which lends itself to some sweet Instagram photo ops if you're so inclined. Their avo toast, acai bowls, and sandwiches are ahh-mazing as well.
- Wildflour Vegan Bakery & Cafe in Pawtucket They're expanding (into the recently vacated space next door) and that's a vg thing! They keep getting busier and busier. That's fantastic and all, but I still want to be able to get a seat. I'm a fan of their made to order juice concoctions, smoothies, and wellness shots (A few summers ago, I was popping in for those every other day.). Their vegan pastry is also life changing. So scrumptious it'll fool even those friends or frenemies who swear they simply can't live without butter or cow's milk.